Tuesday, December 11, 2012

New Hospital, New Day

Wow. So I have gone through 2 days of orientation. I haven't yet gotten to the unit stuff, just hospital and patient care orientation. This place obviously cares about its reputation (which, it has good reason to), and therefore seems intent on keeping its staff well educated as well as taken care of. I mean, at the old hospital, we had a lot of snacks and meals during orientation week, they had almost all computer charting, and self scheduling. Those were the benefits to my old job that I can see. But new hospital, they have an iv team, and parameters for calling rapid response people when the pts SBP gets over 180, or under 90, or the HR is above 120, or they just don't look right. I would have had to call them like every night at the old place. And the IV team?! Oh that would have been a dream on those nights when I'd end up an hour behind because I was left with 4 IV's that HAD to be changed, and pain meds and antibiotics that were DUE. I did get a little sympathy at lunch though, when I finally had a little conversation with a few other people orienting. One of them was even from a place with a tough reputation. This place just so obviously has great resources. I mean, pharmacists working on the units, too.

Thursday is unit orientation. Which I am nervous about, partly because I don't actually know where to go. But I'll be glad to get to know the other interns a little bit better. And then my first shift is Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment