Thursday, January 13, 2011

snow week 2k11

Well, after a highly successful trip to Birmingham this past weekend, I came home, racing to arrive before the storm of the century. or year at least. So I stopped at Kroger before going to my apt since I hadn't been grocery shopping since before Christmas and the cupboards were looking a little bare. Plus I knew Cory was going to probably snowed into my apt as well, and boys eat a lot. And want meals to be meals, and include meat, and things like yogurt and peanut butter toast don't qualify either of those ramifications. So. I stocked up. Frozen pizzas, sausage biscuits, eggs, chocolate milk, normal milk, orange juice, pesto, tortellini, ice cream, coffee, chips, diet coke, granola bars, waffles, paninis, cereal, etc. Because if I was going to be stuck indoors for days, I sure as hell wasn't going to spend it eating things like canned corn and rice cakes (the horror!). I already had the movie and indoor entertainment arena covered- I still had movies I got for Christmas I hadn't watched and plenty of cleaning and organizing that needed to be tended to. Plus I sleep a million hours a day, so I doubted I'd even have time to get bored (and I was right). So Sunday night after playing what I like to call "Freezer Tetris" (which is when my roommate and I both go grocery shopping too close together and the freezer runs out of room), in which only some old soup was sacrificed, we holed up and started Snow Week! Cory got home from work, and after his blistered feet had had a little time to recuperate, he and I took a walk in the glorious fluffy stuff. Because, at that point, it was still fluffy. It was 1 am or so, still heavily coming down, and powdery and wonderful. Not slippery, just pretty. He even made an impressive snow angel in the street. We got up the next day around 1 pm I think. By that point, the snow was crunchy and had a thin layer of ice covering it. However, we decided a walk to the Kroger was in order to pick up Gluwein ingredients! It was slick, but manageable, and we met a nice couple on the walk home. Then, into the crock pot went the wine, apple brandy, cinnamon sticks, orange, lemon zest, cloves, and brown sugar! While we waited, we ate some more, watched more movies/tv, and just generally lounged. I think I also worked on my marathon of laundry as well. Carmen went home at some point in the ordeal, not sure when- all my days run together. I spent my days in cozy glory. Tuesday Cory had to go into work for a little while, then we went on a Chinese food adventure. We ordered it from one of those flyers that had been stuck in my door, but the address on it was totally wrong, and instead we had to just go to China Star for a last minute chinese fix after driving around looking for the nonexistent place. I had that disappearing fullness thing Chinese can do to you and later had a bowl of cereal. Wednesday, alas, my fun was over. I had to go into work and it was chaos when I got there, AND I was late because it took me an HOUR AND A HALF. Then things were just kind of all over the place. And some of my patients were nice, and some were needy. Either way I stayed busy. Lots of IV antibiotics and maintenance fluids. And one guy who woke up confused and tried to leave the hospital to lock his door to his house. This weekend is a three in a row. sigh. i hate work. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am incredibly thankful I wasn't snowed in AT the hospital, but still.

Also, my insurance still hasn't approved the provigil, so i'm still tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment