Wednesday, January 5, 2011
ahh validation
so, i went to my neurologist monday. Ahhh sweet success. It was actually a really goofy appointment. I always forget how excitable they are there. And just very.... "I love nerves!" and things. So I get there and before he even sits down he offers me a tootsie roll pop and then leaves to go get two (I tried pomegranate!). On his return he checks my reflexes, which apparently are a bit hyper as well as they adduct. What does that mean? It means that they twitch in a direction less common. And what does that mean? pretty much nothing. He called in a second doctor to come look, they talk between themselves about which nerves are doing what, and how strong, and in what direction, which gets me all nervous because they are acting like it is bizarro. But then I ask and they say it's common for young thin women, they are just excited because they like reflexes, haha. I mean, being a nurse, I can understand, I get that way too. It was weird being on the other side of the situation though. Anyway, then I start telling him about how tired I've been and he gets really excited and says, "Dr. Trotti, guess what else has been going on with her?" and she's like "She's sleeping a lot?" They explain that they have recently seen a trend with restless legs patients showing up with hypersomnia lately. Then he had me write down how many hours of sleep a week I get (I estimated 72), then I filled out like 7 questionnaires, and did this reflex testing "game." He looked everything over and gave me a prescription for Provigil (modafinil). Which I can't get filled yet because it requires prior authorization from insurance. They also drew labs, which I ended up having to take with me, because they don't run labs through Quest. But I tried to find the quest place, and couldn't find it before it closed, so I'll have to get them redrawn at some point. He also gave me a recommendation for a dietary supplement: L-Acetyl Carnitine, which I think is supposed to help with energy levels. He said his wife takes it religiously. Since I like my neurologist and trust him I was all for anything to help at this point, so I stopped off at Whole Foods and picked me up a bottle. I took one yesterday, and I don't know if it helped or not, but I did stay awake for 13 or 14 hours without too much difficulty. Now I just have to figure out where I put the bottle. I swear, I loose stuff every day lately. Bah! Hopefully the new drug will help with focus and all that too. I'm sick of working at half capacity brain function.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment