I get to work last night, for my holiday shift I shouldn't have to work, and am like, ok, this is fine. I only have 3 patients, I'm the first admit, but the census is low and all is well. We are at 12 patients, so they decided to send one of the Keishas home. At 8:40. Which is ridiculous. an hour and 40 minutes of pay is NOT worth the drive down there and getting ready and everything. I sort of volunteered to go, but then backed out. I would normally have just left, but first of all it seemed like it was going to be an easy night, second of all- I spent probably two hours before my shift crying and just trying to pull myself together, I sure as hell wasn't going to have all that be for nothing. UGH. Keisha essentially refused to leave til 11, which was great, because that meant that she gave all her meds and most of them just wanted to sleep after that. We shuffled all her patients around and I was back up to 4 patients, who were really ok. I mean, one of mine is kind of dying, which is sad, but he was stable and slept for me. I gave more pain meds last night than for a lot of shifts. Unfortunately, like right after Keisha left, they start admitting patients left and right. At 2 am I was really the last person who hadn't gotten one; I think that both the other Keisha and Jackie had gotten two each, and the freaking house supervisor demanded that I take a 5th patient. Keisha and Jackie really had my back last night though, which was SO nice. They gave me one of Keisha's easy, sleeping patients, and she took a 3rd admit for the night. I felt guilty about sort of pitching a bit of a fit, and not admitting any patients, and I didn't take a break, I just kinda snacked on cheddar bunnies, cereal, and a granola bar. I know that I am close to ready to go back to 5, but I should be allowed to get my feet under me first. UGH.
As frustrated as I was, I had it easy. Upstairs had a Dr PITT, the ICU had TWO codes (it is only an 8 bed unit).
Hmmm things I learned??
1. well i am a pro at drawing labs from this one guy I had for 4 days
2. replaced K, Mag, and Phosphorous on one guy
3. got better at order maintenance and such
4. really looked at the protocols and got one switched from PO to IV
5. i had time to look at my patients, their orders, their histories, everything, which was nice.
hey whats a dr pitt?
ReplyDeleteit's an "oh crap this patient might code... lots of staff come help us please!"
ReplyDelete