Monday, March 26, 2012

my own happiness

Well, I am reading The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin. I am just now getting around to reading the March chapter, and the first step/goal of her March was to start a blog. The focus of March is on happiness and work. I realize that Gretchen is a writer, and therefore it makes sense for her writing to be a part of her focus on work. I also realize I am not a writer, but a nurse at heart, so blogging is not so obvious. However, I'd really like to process this book as I read it, and I type faster than I write, I believe. Also, writing hurts my fingers after a while. So, consider the blog reinstated. I have a need to keep my paper journal, too, so I'll have to figure out how that will function. Anyway.

So, the key of the introduction is that happiness influences work, and work influences happiness. I don't want to be the unhappy employee who bogs down the system and puts people in a bad mood. That being said, currently I think I am just that. I am bitter. I am not enjoying working at the detox center. I feel like it is a place with little respect for employees' boundaries, and last week I got seriously snapped at in front of people. I am just over it. That being said, I AM passionate about nursing and healthcare. I just need to find a job that doesn't smoosh my soul again. I am also passionate about babies. When I was a nanny, I didn't dread work. In fact, I still miss my Noggin. I liked reading books about parenting, websites on baby products, and debate the merits of no-cry vs. cry-it-out philosophies. And now, I read health articles for fun, read books on plagues and epidemics, test out home remedies, and keep a stockpile of cold and flu meds just in case.

While I was reading the chapter, I was thinking, oh crap. I just don't like working in general. I'm doomed. Luckily then I remembered that wasn't totally true. I don't like working in jobs I hate or being unsupervised/ poorly oriented. I need to start calling hospitals Friday.

-I have been really productive this evening- I did the dishes, cleaned the living room, dust mopped the hardwood floor, vacuumed the stairs AND my room, packed my lunch, talked to Cory, and did my routines (stretching, pushups, flossing).

I hate that I dread work here, but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment