I am relishing just doing normal things, and having a normal functioning brain. I am realizing more and more how severely my job was affecting me, and that I wasn't just being dramatic about a little sleepiness. I get these little revelations every so often- the other day I marveled at the fact that I was awake, alert, and thought nothing of being able to stay that way all day long, without taking a nap, or getting emotional, or losing my focus and just zoning out excessively. It is actually a really weird feeling, like knowing how I was just 3 weeks ago versus how I am now. I mean I spent nearly two years being tired ALL the time. Like to the point that I didn't care about having friends really. I mean, napping was just more appealing-- I could try to be social and hang out, but usually I couldn't keep up with the conversation, or I was so tired I could nearly cry I wanted to lay down so badly, so really I stopped trying. And ultimately faded into this weird alternate universe of being out of it and falling behind- on friends, and news, and bills. Nothing was more exciting than knowing I had a stretch of a few days off where I could sleep whenever I wanted, for however long I wanted.
Now, learning to come out of this fog is actually a little intimidating. I feel shy again, even around friends I've known for a long time, because even people I've seen in the past year, I probably wasn't all that present during said interactions. And I mean, really, all this time I've been hanging out alone at night, so I did what I wanted, didn't have to try to be impressive, just tried to keep clean scrubs in my closet and my rent paid. Heck, there were weeks at a time I probably never wore anything other than pajamas and scrubs.
In other awesomely boring news, today I not only took an extensive grocery store trip to restock, I made a chicken corn chowder and break apart chocolate chip cookies. And a fruit salad. I cleaned up the downstairs. Not only this, but I only slept 6 hours or so last night! I mean, that is less than ideal for me, but after a cup of coffee this morning, I was up and ready to go! Which, considering my previous two paragraphs, is nothing short of a miracle. The past two years, if I woke up tired, I would stay that way til I was able to fall asleep again. There was no, "oh just wait for the coffee to kick in." There were days that my body said "Fine, you have some obligation? Well I'll let you stay awake, but I'm going to show you how mad I am by making you feel borderline nauseated, ridiculously emotional, and I won't let up on the sleepiness for a second." So yeah, it was nice today.
Yesterday, I went to the library and got a bunch of books on gardening, quilts, and crafts! YAY!! I have decided I want to try to grow lavender and radishes to start with, since I have no gardening experience and I have managed to accidently kill "Lucky Bamboo" in the past. Not a good sign. I figured I'd start small, in containers that can be moved around to more or less sun, etc. Have I even ever eaten a radish? That would be a no. But it would be cool to be able to grow something theoretically edible. The quilting thing is just to satisfy my desire to craft, with my need for it to be practical, with my other like of semi monotonous work.
No comments:
Post a Comment